Monday, December 31, 2012

Saturday, December 29 - BU Mini Meet #3

6mi*/39min. I was in heat #2 of the 800. My goal was to break my lifetime pr of 1:58.0 set in 1997 indoor at URI. I knew I needed to get out well in the first 200. I hadn't done that in my first 2 800's of the year. I remembered what Dan Halsey said back in college, "Always let some other a#$h@le lead the first lap of an 800." I tucked into 2nd. After the 200, I could feel the leader lagging so I charged into the lead and never looked back. I kicked hard at the bell and leaned at the line. Boj and Najem had me hand timed at 1:57.9 so I knew it was 1:58 low on automatic timing. Sure enough: 1:58.22 officially. I'm very happy with the result, but not satisfied. I will break 1:58! I had 30min to get ready for the 4xmile relay with my CMS mates: Dan, Scott and Adam. I was surprised to see them just show up for the relay, as I assumed everyone would be racing the mini meet beforehand. Turns out I was the only one not fresh...no pressure! Dan looked great leading off with a 4:27.3, handing to Scott in the lead. Scott ran a nice leg, battling with a college kid from Lafayette. Every time the kid tried to pass, Scott would hold him off. Finally, the youngster got around him on the last lap and handed off 1sec ahead of us. Scott ran 4:36.0. I immediately caught the kid in front of me. I figured he was about a 4:30 guy and even though I was tired from the 800, I could sit on him and out kick him to give Adam the lead. WRONG! We went out in 63 and he held on running 4:15ish, while I managed a 4:32.5. I gave Adam the baton and he was exactly where he didn't want to be: in no man's land. He ran a 4:29.9 leg bringing us home in 2nd in 18:05.7. We high tailed it out of there and I drove 4hrs home in the snowstorm with no cool down. My legs are gonna be sore but it was a Fun day.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome job on the 800 and glad you made it home safely!!

    ReplyDelete