Sunday, April 13, 2014

Week of April 7th - 13th, 2014

Monday:
0mi.  Rest day.  I have a sore throat and I'm feeling run down.  I started coaching track today.

Tuesday:
4mi/27min in Pisgah with Griffin.  Trails are brutal right now.  Lot's of ice/snow and mud.  I have a cold.

Wednesday:
10mi/67min in Pisgah with Griffin.  Good run, I stuck to the sunniest trails I could find.  Still long stretches of ice in the shade.  I post holed in the mud a few times falling in above the ankle.  That's what happens when there's deep frost and mud.  I woke up early this morning and lifted weights.  Still have an annoying cold.

Thursday:
1mi + Circuits with Fit Club at school.  I came home from practice with the desire to run even though my cold is raging and I'm feeling run down.  I plopped down in my bed to close my eyes for 15min before my run.  I woke up 2hrs later.  I guess I needed the sleep.  Kind of a shame to miss out on a 60 degree day.

Friday:
6mi/43min in Friedsam/Pisgah.  I ran 3mi at track practice in Friedsam.  That was a lot of fun.  Then I came home and headed out for 3 more in Pisgah with Griffin.  It started to rain and there were a few wood frogs croaking (more like quacking) in a vernal pool.  This got me excited that tonight would be a big migration night for the salamanders, wood frogs and spring peepers.  Jen and I headed out at night and we helped a few spotted salamanders cross the road.  There were a ton of peepers and woodies out.  It's really nice to hear the peepers out on the pond calling again.  They only started 2 nights ago.  The great blue herons are back in the nest, the beavers are active, the black birds are calling and the temps are warm.  Spring is here, now we just need the damn trails to be ice/snow free!

Saturday:
11mi*/75min - Sports Medicine 5K - 16:46 (5:25) 2nd place.
This was a beautiful day to run a race.  Perfect temps in the 60's with sunshine.  I took off very conservatively sitting in 9th place or so.  Thomas already was pulling away from the field with Andy being the only one to give chase.  I started to pick it up late in the first mile and moved up into 3rd place after the mile (5:21).  A tall runner I didn't recognize latched onto me and pushed me through the second mile (5:25).  There's a good amount of small but steep hills and I felt good legging out on the downhills.  I was able to catch Andy and go by him on the steep twisty downhill by Rte 9 and was in second place with 3/4 of a mile to go.  Andy didn't give up and I could hear him a few seconds back.  Exiting the bike path up the final steep hill, I dug down and created more separation.  Thomas was far ahead and would go on to win comfortably in 16:20. I crossed the line in 16:46, 6 seconds ahead of Andy.  It was a good, consistent effort that I was pleased with.  The time was about what I expected considering my current fitness level on this slow course.  I won 75 smackers for my efforts which was a nice surprise.  George, Thomas and I did a cool down after the awards and then went to Margaritas for some post race grub.  Fun day!

Sunday:
18mi*/2:10 in Pisgah with George, Ferenc, Lena and Ellie.  Nice easy long run.  The trails are 90% clear of snow and ice.  The snow is only hanging on in the darkest of places in the park.  We ran the Old Town Forest trail which is pretty cool and headed up to Pisgah ridge.  The run started with cold temps in the 40's and hard rain.  We were all a little cold, but it got warmer as the run progressed and the rain stopped.  Legs good and tired.  I'm really happy to finally get a long run in and had no issues with my knee which is now back to 100% healthy. 

Total for the week:
50miles.  OK week.  I want to get my mileage up into the 60's and beyond soon.  Coaching track does cut into my desire to get out the door after a long day, but it stays light out for so long that I really don't have any excuses.  I'm really happy to be running on mostly snow-free trails again.  Next week, I need to get to the gym to lift at least twice and get back to the track for speed workouts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment