Monday, November 19, 2012

Sunday, Nov 18 - Lil Rhody RunAround

Sunday was one of my favorite races of the year. My top 4 are: Pisgah,Lil Rhody, KSC Alumni, and 4 on the 4th. I love this one because it's in my parents' backyard, most of my family does it, many of my Rhody friends do it, and it's my family's Thanksgiving. I warmed up with Jonny and Muddy. We got 2 easy miles in and then headed to the start. I took off fast with a guy right on my side, cruising with me. I didn't recognize him but he looked young and fast. After 3 minutes of fast running I started to pull away. I love to go out hard and then really accelerate once we hit the single track. This usually scares people from going with me and then I get to run solo and just focus on my time and taking the best line. I felt strong the entire race and knew I was running a good time. I hit Buckeye Brook Rd in around 245 min. This is my split just about every year. I cleared my watch and just decided to hammer without knowing my time. I saw Glenn and Gina in the woods after the water stop near the big ledges. Seeing Glenn always gets me fired up. I get a little pissed at the world that he has Crohn's Disease and couldn't race. I figure he'd like to be racing so I better give it my all. No feeling sorry for myself no matter how bad it hurts. I flashed him the number 6 and kept hammering. I hit the final road and I was really starting to hurt. I dug down hoping to break Stephen Herrera's course record of 44:36. I approached the finish line and saw the clock in the 44's. I sprinted and broke the tape in 44:52. It's a new pr for me. My first time under 45 and my 6th win. It was awesome seeing so many friends and family racing and doing well. I'm pleased with my race but I want that record!

5 comments:

  1. You ran an outstanding race! Great to see you guys there, and I've been taking notes for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your trail race strategy! Congrats on #6.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was curious what your PR on this course was, and glad to hear you broke a new one, even with the tree obstacles and detours. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! Pr's for everyone! My split at Buckeye was 24 minutes by the way. It's too annoying to edit on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked the Pie & Glove results. Smokin! I can't wait to hear and read about it. Good job ace!

      Delete