Saturday, November 23, 2013

Sunday, November 17th - Lil Rhody Runaround

12mi*/1:15. Lil Rhody Runaround - 45:45 (5:43) 1st place. I went into this year's race feeling less than confident. The last 2 years I came into this race in monster shape (for me). Jonny was telling me how fit all the Rhody guys were and I had a large target on my back. I was scared that this year might be a real dog fight for the win. My strategy was to go out hard and accelerate on the trails and see who had the guts to follow me. I stuck to my strategy and had company right away. Mike Galoob and I thought Chris Garvin were right on my back. We went through the mile in around 5:13. (I heard Mike's GPS beep and I glanced at my watch. As we ran through the camp ground roads those 2 guys stuck close to me. I had about a 1 second lead which was a hint to me that maybe they weren't too relaxed with the fast pace. (I know if I was feeling good I'd sit right on the leader's shoulder to put a little pressure on). When we entered back into the trails after around 10min of running I decided now was the time to try and make a move. I ran hard. I slowly started to get some separation. As we hit the first sharp left hand turn after the bridges I glanced back and saw I had about a 10 second gap. I was hurting but I was happy with the gap I created. I decided to really push the pace through the technical bridge and rocky section before the covered bridge. When I exited the covered bridge, I glanced back and couldn't see anybody. I told my self to keep hammering. I ran the first half of the race in pain but happy to be building my lead. As I left the woods onto Buckeye Brook Rd., I glanced at my watch. I can't remember exactly but it was right around 24 flat which is pretty much what I always run to this point. I glanced back as I re-entered the trails and couldn't see anyone. I knew at this point in the race that I was going to win my 7th Lil Rhody. I was pleased but knew I couldn't relax. As the the trail climbed, I felt pretty terrible. I was starting to get hot and suffering from the fast pace. I saw the Seekels and the Ornsteins in the woods but I was too tired and focused to hear what they said. I finally got to the Kings Factory Rd. where I saw Bentley. He gave me some encouragement and I dug down. I was really hurting and looked back a thousand times. It was great to hit the line in 45:45. Not a stellar time for me, but I've won with much slower times and I was really pleased to win this one. I certainly had my doubts. Now it was time to cheer for friends and family to finish. Wooley and Galoob were the next guys across the line in the 47's. I was anxiously waiting for Jonny to cross the line. I was hoping he'd break 49. He came sprinting across the line in 48:59. I was afraid they'd add a second to his time, but the time held, 48:59. Sweet! Boj ran a solid race and Jen was pleased with her time. Pard crossed the line in 1:13 looking good. He won his 70+ age group though at first they thought a guy ran 49:30. Turns out that guy was 25, not 75! I did some research of older results and it looks like Pard is now the course record holder for 70+. That will give me something to shoot for in the distant future. He suffered a fall and had a nasty wrist contusion. Luckily, Jen is an athletic trainer and was able to take care of him. He seem unfazed by the injury, but it looked nasty. Sarah ran a great race and was really happy with her time. We had some great food and drinks at Jonny's house after. I don't know how many more of these things I can keep winning, but I sure would like to go for 7 more. I dedicated this win to my new niece and nephew, Emma and Brady and to my best cheerleading niece and nephew, Ellie and Jackson. Thanks mom for cheering too! I love this race and look forward to doing it for many years.

5 comments:

  1. Lucky #7!! Great job as usual. Maybe in a few more years I'll be ready to challenge you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grats on another stellar Li'l Rhody win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great race, Greg, and nice write-up! Watch out - Jonny is gunning for you next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great race, Greg, and good to see you guys there!

    ReplyDelete